Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
PA Young Reader's Choice Voting (K-2)
Parts of a book
Students can practice identifying parts of a book with this worksheet.
A good way for students to think about what they've read is to write a book review. If your child writes and appropriate review, I will post it here for other students to read.
Second Grade in the Library
Students in second grade continue to develop the skill of locating books by call number. They will complete basic searches on the library catalog (OPAC). Examination of literature in second grade involves learning about the Caldecott Award and Pennsylvania Young Readers' Choice Award.
- Develop further skills for listening to stories.
- Read and respond to different genres of literature.
- Listen and respond to PA Choice nominated titles literature.
- Compare and contrast authors and illustrators.
- Expand knowledge base of a variety of authors.
- Define the meaning of a book receiving the Caldecott Medal Award.
Research & Information Literacy Skills
- Use alphabetical order and call number to locate materials.
- Introduce search skills to research selected topics.
- Demonstrate proper care and handling of materials.
- Introduce OPAC Destiny (Library Catalog).
- Practice independently procedures for circulating materials.
- Explain the arrangement of books in the easy-fiction and fiction sections.
- Identify parts of a book: dedication page, table of contents, glossary, and index.