Third grade is an exciting year in the Pennypack Library! The boys and girls in third grade learn about the Dewey Decimal System in great detail during library classes. They continue to practice and expand their search skills through the use of the library catalog (OPAC) and library center activities. Please take a look at the third grade library curriculum outlined in further detail below.
· Recognize different types of genre.
· Identify key components of various forms of biographical writing.
· Select suitable biography to read independently.
· Demonstrate an understanding of the ten main classes of the Dewey Decimal System utilizing this knowledge to locate materials including fiction, nonfiction and other materials.
· Locate materials using search strategies in OPAC-Destiny.
· Explain the arrangement of books in different sections of the library.
· Differentiate between fact and fiction and opinion.
· Utilize introductory research skills.
· Demonstrate understanding of parts of a book: cover, spine, title page, author, illustrator, call numbers, publisher, place of publication, copyright date, dedication page, table of contents, index, and glossary.