· Develop skills for listening to stories.
· Participate in storytelling activities.
· Make predictions about books, authors, and illustrations.
· Determine if a story is real or make believe.
· Respond to different genres of literature.
· Recognize the Caldecott Medal Award on a book.
· Understand the difference between author and illustrator.
· Identify a variety of different storybook characters.
· Develop an initial knowledge base of a variety of authors.
· Participate in an author study.
· Identify parts of a book: cover, spine, title page, author, illustrator, and call numbers.
· Define the vocabulary including fiction, nonfiction, author, illustrator, and call letters.
· Demonstrate responsibility and care of library materials.
· Identify librarian and staff.
· Demonstrate understanding of the consequences of overdue and lost materials.
· Select books based on their interests and curriculum needs.
· Identify differences between a school library and a public library.